An in person, 7 round USCF quick-rated chess tournament on the weekend of, March 3-5, 2023 for scholastic players in grades K thru 12 who live in Texas, sponsored by the Texas Chess Association.
McAllen Convention Center
700 Convention Center Blvd
McAllen, TX 78501
Who is eligible to play:
This event is open ONLY to students attending Texas Schools, including home schoolers residing in Texas.
All players in this event must be in 12th grade (or lower).
All players must have a current USCF ID and your membership (can be purchased/renewed at check out or online with the USCF in advance of registration). Your membership may not expire before March 31, 2023. You can verify your USCF membership ID and expiration by visiting the USCF’s Member Services Area. Anyone can become a USCF member. Players new to tournament chess are welcome to play.
This event offers 11 rated sections: (February 2023 ratings used)
Choose your section based upon your grade level. There is no ‘playing up’. Review the TCA rules for section placement.
- “Championship” sections are open to all players, including Unrated, with the grades specified. JV and Novice sections are only open to those with established or provisional US Chess ratings below that threshold, including Unrated.
- Ratings for pairings and section purposes are according to US Chess Regular over the board ratings, using the US Chess March 2023 Rating Supplement. This event will be US Chess regular rated after it concludes.
- Students may play only in a Championship or Under section allowed by their grade and rating. That means that a K or 1st grade student, for example, may play in K-1, K-3 or K-5 sections. Students in 5th grade or below cannot play in sections higher than a K-5. Students in 6th through 8th grade can only play in 6-8 Section and, likewise, students in 9th through 12 grade can only play in 9-12 sections. Please see the event website regarding specific cases for non-traditional school grade ranges.
- If a player does not have an established US Chess rating in the February 2023 Rating Supplement (and is therefore “unrated”), then he/she may play in any section allowed for his/her grade.
- The tournament staff will have discretion over section placement.
Round 1 – Friday evening, March 3rd
Rounds 2, 3, & 4 – Saturday, March 4th
Rounds 5, 6, & 7 – Sunday, March 5th.
Please visit the event website (round time page) for a list of round times and time controls for each section.
Awards to the top 20 individuals and the top 15 teams in each of the 11 sections.
Special trophies for all players scoring 4+ points not receiving top 20 tropies.
Commemorative medals for all participants.
Grand Champion Trophies to the Top 5 schools in each of the championship sections (yes, a team may win more than one trophy!)
The top finisher in each Championship section will be named 2023 State Champion for that section!
Scholarship money for the top 5 winners in the High School Championship section.
The top player(s) in all Championships vie for the opportunity to represent Texas in National tournaments!
Registration and information
Register, request or renew a USCF membership (optional if not expired!) and pay online. The entry fee is $44 by midnight, February 3rd. $56 by midnight, February 24th. $74 after February 24 or onsite.
Withdrawals are subject to a $5 processing fee per player. No refunds given for withdrawals after March 2nd.
Visit the event website for the online registration link and instructions on how to submit group/bulk school entries.
Email TCA President, Franc Guadalupe, email@example.com, or TCA Treasurer Barbara Swafford, firstname.lastname@example.org with other tournament related questions. (Please read all information on the event website before emailing.)